Friday, January 27, 2017

Bronze Orange Corn

For those of you who don't know, I'm a passionate gardener. Rare and unique plants are a common thing at our house. For example, the other night we had braised purple carrots. (Delicious, I might add.) This past summer we indulged in a sweet corn that turns hands and lips purple.

Well, the past few days, I've been shelling another rare gem....a corn...The Bronze Orange Corn.

baby corn plants


The above photo was taken just as the plants were peeking out of the ground.  The one closest to my hand was an albino corn. After some research I found out that it is a gene mutation such that the corn plant is unable to make chlorophyll. Sadly, that meant that once the food from the seed was used up the baby plant died. The rest, however, did remarkably well.  The grew to about shoulder height, and matured quite early!

 

Bronze orange corn in good lighting looks spectacular!  It has a metallic sort of coppery-bronze tone to it that you simply have to see and hold in your hand to believe.  It originated as a breeding project of plant breeder extraordinaire, Dr. Alan Kapuler, of Peace Seeds. He is still breeding unique plant varieties, and has them available at Peace Seeds Blog. 
 
Bronze Orange Corn



If you ever do grow this corn in your own backyard, please learn how to properly save seed for future plantings, because we need to do all we can to preserve rare varieties like this one for future generations to enjoy. 
 
I'm saving some of my seed for planting, and will be grinding some of it to try different recipes, which I hope to share--providing they turn out as spectacular as I think they will!
 
Tell me though, have you grown a rare variety? Was it a unique corn? I'd love to hear about it!!!
feel free to comment below and tell me all the details!
 
 
May you all make the best of today!
Thanks for riding along on our little journey through the corn patch!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment